We are commissioning a Sound Artist
A 3-day event reflecting on loss, gains and intentions, from Fleetwood
Deadline: Noon Monday 31 May 2021
In association with Fleetwood Festival of Transport
From 16-18th July 2021 SpareParts are producing a three-day outdoor event across multiple sites in Fleetwood, exploring themes of loss, gains and intentions for the future.
As part of the programme of work, we are commissioning a Artist to create an audio-artwork, incorporating stories, anecdotes, memories, conversations and suggested songs, from residents of Fleetwood. The artwork will be played across the 3-day event and may also feature as part of the digital programme we are generating.
The commissioned artist is not expected to collect the content from the public; this is being organised by our fantastic partners at LeftCoast.
We are instead looking for an Artist that can curate the generated content provided by LeftCoast’s participation programme, into an inventive, considered and thought-provoking artwork. The output will be a 2hr high-quality soundscape that can be platformed by SpareParts in multiple ways across the three days.
SpareParts is a project that curates, commissions and co-produces national and international touring arts work, for transport, heritage and family festivals across the North West.
SpareParts has featured an arts programme, parade and participation programme at Tram Sunday, since 2014. Unfortunately, the organisers this year, Fleetwood Festival of Transport, have made the difficult decision to postpone their 2021 event until the following year.
Instead, Spareparts are working with a number of local partners to host a 3-day programme of outdoor and digital artworks for the communities of Fleetwood and the surrounding area.
In the past fifteen months, the experiences of living through a global pandemic has been different for everyone. For most people, it hasn’t been one fixed experience, but instead has encompassed many different states of mind and circumstances as the weeks and months have passed.
TRANSPORTED is a 3-day programme of artwork and engagement that safety enables audiences to gather outdoors and online, inviting residents to come together to share, to listen and to reflect on their recent individual and collective experiences. To do this, we will be engaging with diverse communities in Fleetwood, to learn more about what they have lost, what they have gained and how this has informed their hopes and intentions for the future.
LeftCoast, our participation partner on TRANSPORTED is leading the local engagement with residents in Fleetwood. Across June, they and their network of partners will collect stories, anecdotes, memories and conversations from residents of Fleetwood, around the programme’s themes. These will include both audio and written content. Participants will also have the opportunity to suggest songs which remind them of, or express, their sentiments around the three themes.
This generated content will be passed to the commissioned Sound Artist on 1 July, with a first draft soundscape required by noon on 8 July. The final artwork, 2hrs in length, will be ready by 12 July 2021. Before applying, please note the dates and short timeline to ensure you are available and have capacity for this concentrated work in a rapid period of time.
The soundscape will incorporate some of the contributions collected by LeftCoast and partners (spoken, written and song choices), curated by the Sound Artist to create an inventive, considered and thought-provoking artwork. This may include, though is not dependent on, the opportunity for an original score generated by the lead Artist to be included too.
£1,225 inclusive of VAT to cover:
- Completion of a 2hr original sound artwork by 12 July 2021 (content generated from community engagement supplied by LeftCoast)
- Online planning and production meetings with SpareParts and LeftCoast
- PRS license (payment and organisation of) for songs suggested by Fleetwood residents
- Deadline for applications: noon on Monday 31 May 2021
- Shortlisted artists interviewed (online): w/c 7 June 2021 (TBC)
- Generated content ready for Sound Artist: Wed 30 June
- Draft 1 deadline: 8 July 2021
- Draft 2 deadline: 12 July 2021
- Evidence the skills to create a sound artwork that is innovative, considered and thought-provoking, utilising content generated by the public
- Available to work in a concentrated period (1 July-12 July)
- Ability to work to short deadlines
- Willingness for collaboration with SpareParts and LeftCoast
To apply, please email the following to Claire, the Programme Manager for SpareParts:
- A document with weblinks to 3 x projects you think best evidences your capabilities to deliver this commission
- A copy of your CV
- A short description, or Method Statement on how you would approach the commission (less than 500 words)
- Please title your email: (insert your name) TRANSPORTED commission
We are committed to ensuring that all of our processes and projects are as accessible as possible.
If you would like to receive the commissioning guidance in an alternative format, alternative language or large print, would like to request assistance with completing your application, or discuss submitting your proposal in a different format please contact: email@example.com
Image Credit: Lee Allen